Hero Swap: Ben 10 (Starring Charlie Watson) is a live-action/computer-animated hybrid film that retells the events of the 2018 film Bumblebee, drawing key elements from lore of the Ben 10 franchise, in addition to that of the live-action Transformers film series.
Essentially the same as Bumblebee, but with major differences:
- Rather than attempting to escape Cybertron to establish a base on another planet, the Autobots are attempting to keep the Omnitrix safe from the Decepticons, who believe it can resuscitate their fallen leader Megatron.
- Bumblebee is a DNA sample within the Omnitrix.
- Instead of Bumblebee, the Omnitrix lands on Earth, attaching itself to Charlie's wrist when she unearths it behind Uncle Hank's garage.
- Hank had no idea what this pod contained, and had a "finders keepers" attitude towards it, gladly letting Charlie keep it as an 18th-birthday present.
- The Omnitrix retains its post-recalibration design in Alien Force rather than the pre-recalibration design, albeit with a yellow-and-black color scheme not dissimilar to Bumblebee.
- The battle against Blitzwing happens after Charlie obtains the Omnitrix and uses it to transform into Bumblebee.
- Memo plays a more significant role in this retelling to compensate for Bumblebee not always being present.
- He is also the first person to find out about the Omnitrix, which Charlie has tried to keep a secret but failed.
- Agent Burns and Charlie's late father were former Plumbers.
- After the death of the latter, Burns quit the Plumbers and joined Sector 7, holding a hostile attitude towards any species not native to Earth.
- Some scenes are added or changed to demonstrate the attributes of Charlie's alien forms.
- Not long after obtaining the Omnitrix, Charlie swings around Brighton Falls as Spidermonkey.
- Charlie transforms into XLR8 to rush her dog Conan to the vet.
- There's a new bowling scene featuring Charlie as Cannonbolt.
- Charlie is sunbathing as Wildvine before Memo invites her to the party at the cliff.
- The toilet paper prank is significantly different. First, Memo makes a failed attempt at covering the tree in toilet paper. Then, Charlie turns into Buzzshock to try cutting the power off for Tina's home, but ends up doing so for the whole block instead. She then turns into Humungousaur to cover Tina's car in eggs and smash it, and finally helps Memo escape as XLR8.
- Charlie destroys her own house while the Omnitrix randomly transforms her into different aliens, this power surge attracting the attention of Sector 7, Shatter, and Dropkick, causing her to be captured for interrogation.
- Charlie's brother Otis also finds out about the Omnitrix upon her capture and helps their parents rescue her without telling them the truth.
- The final battle plays out differently. First, Charlie (as Buzzshock) quickly disposes of Dropkick and destroys Shatter's signal transmitter. Then, she turns into Humungousaur to fight Shatter and open the dam, causing a ship to crash in Shatter's direction. Shatter defeats Humungousaur by pulling her underwater with herself in an attempt to kill the both of them, but Charlie escapes by turning into Water Hazard.
- At the Golden Gate Bridge, Azmuth teleports to Charlie's location, introduces himself to her, and reveals that while he intended his creation to be for her father, lamenting that he sadly passed away long before it reached him. He adds on that he observed Charlie's usage of the Omnitrix through the device itself and she has proven herself to be a worthy wielder, unlocking more alien transformations and letting her keep it.
- Charlie returns home, revealing the Omnitrix to her parents, in which they comment that they knew all along. In addition, Charlie's identity is revealed to the world on the news.
- In a post-credits scene, Optimus arrives on Earth and is astonished to see Charlie use the Omnitrix to transform into Bumblebee and much like Azmuth, he trusts her with the device and warns her of enemies that may come to try and forcefully take it from her.
- Charlie Watson
- Agent Burns
- Guillermo "Memo" Guiterrez
- Dr. Powell
- Otis Watson
- Sally Watson
- Uncle Hank
- General Whalen
- Tripp Summers
- Seymour Simmons
- Optimus Prime
- Megatron (mentioned only)
- Bumble Bee (x3)
- Too Much Monkey Business (x2, second time was an accidental transformation)
- Don't Stop Me Now (x4, fourth time was an accidental transformation)
- Let Me Roll It
- I Heard It Through The Grapevine
- Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment (x2)
- T. Rex (x2)
- Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend (accidental transformation)
- Yertle the Turtle (accidental transformation)
- Purple Rain
|Hailee Steinfeld||Charlie Watson|
Too Much Monkey Business
Don't Stop Me Now
Let Me Roll It
I Heard It Through The Grapevine
Gimme Gimme Shock Treatment
Diamonds Are A Girl's Best Friend
Yertle the Turtle
|John Cena||Agent Burns|
|Jorge Lendeborg Jr.||Guillermo "Memo" Guiterrez|
|John Ortiz||Dr. Powell|
|Jason Drucker||Otis Watson|
|Pamela Adlon||Sally Watson|
|Len Cariou||Uncle Hank|
|Glynn Turman||General Whalen|
|Ricardo Hoyos||Tripp Summers|
|Nick Pilla||Seymour Simmons|
|Peter Cullen||Optimus Prime|
- The title is misleading, suggesting that it would be a retelling of the plot of the original Ben 10 television show.
- The added scene where Charlie swings around as Spidermonkey is intended to be an homage to Spider-Man.
- Charlie's aliens all have yellow eyes and yellow Omnitrix symbols.
- Bumblebee's Autobot insignia on his robot form and Volkswagen logo on his car form have both been replaced by Omnitrix symbols.
- Much like Gwen's alien transformations in the Ultimate Alien episode Inspector 13, Charlie's aliens do not have feminine appearances and all voiced by the same actress as her human form.
- Charlie seems to have more proficiency with the Omnitrix than Ben did at first, as she could quickly switch from one form to another simply by slapping the Omnitrix symbol, and did not have any mistransformations.
- The Hero Swap prefix is taken from the web show of the same name by How It Should Have Ended.
- This universe is under the name "Earth-1987", referencing the year the events take place.
With Azmuth unlocking more transformations for Charlie and Optimus' warning, it could be safe to assume that a sequel in the form of either a film or a television series could follow.